Certified Floodplain Manager Program
The Goal of the Program
The program recognizes continuing education and professional development that enhance the knowledge and performance of local, state, federal, and private-sector floodplain managers.
About the CFM Program
What is the Program?
This certification program will lay the foundation for ensuring that highly qualified individuals are available to meet the challenge of breaking the damage cycle and stopping its negative drain on the nation’s human, financial, and natural resources.
JOIN THE PROGRAM
Why Get Certified?
The formation of a professional certification program is recognized as an effective means to:
- Formalize a procedure to recognize and provide an incentive for individuals to improve their knowledge of floodplain management concepts;
- Enhance individual professional development goals;
- Promote an understanding of relevant subject matter that is consistent nationwide;
- Convey new concepts and practices; and
- Build partnerships among organizations and agencies that share the goal of advancing sound floodplain management.
The primary goal of the ASFPM Certified Floodplain Manager Program (CFM Program) is to help reduce the nation’s flood losses and protect and enhance the natural and beneficial functions of its floodplains by improving the knowledge and abilities of floodplain managers in the United States. This goal will be achieved over time by:
- Encouraging self-study and attendance at training courses by requiring testing to obtain certification;
- Requiring continuing education as a condition for re-certification; and
- Encouraging ASFPM chapters, state agencies, and state or regional associations to certify floodplain managers based on specific knowledge of state and regional requirements and legislation.
- Ensuring that CFM’s have an awareness not only of the NFIP, but of comprehensive floodplain management
A second goal of the CFM Program is to increase the prominence of floodplain management in decision-making by local officials and the public. This goal will be achieved on a larger scale and over a longer time frame by:
- Improving the recognition of floodplain management as a specific discipline;
- Increasing the status of floodplain managers as knowledgeable professionals in a complex and important field;
- Providing greater credibility and visibility for the profession;
- Increasing the educational and training opportunities for floodplain managers through partnerships with other organizations, and
- Encouraging CFM’s to contribute to the profession of floodplain management for the betterment of the nation.
CFM EXAMINATION INFORMATION
Get Signed Up
With today’s world of floodplain management becoming more and more complex, being nationally certified will add credibility to floodplain management professionals. The Association of State Floodplain Managers has established a national program for professional certification of floodplain managers. The program recognizes continuing education and professional development that enhance the knowledge and performance of local, state, federal, and private-sector floodplain managers. The Association of Montana Floodplain Managers advocates this certification program.
Get In Touch
Contact someone from the association and get your floodplain questions answered.